Jim Gray's paper about how to achieve fault tolerant computer systems. After discussing how issues are done with hardware, he focuses on software realated solutions. The
keys to this software fault-tolerance are:
- Software modularity through processes and messages.
- Fault containment through fail-fast software modules.
- Process-pairs to tolerate hardware and transient software faults.
- Transaction mechanism to provide data and message integrity.
- Transaction mechanism combined with process-pairs exception handling and tolerate software faults.
These keys are also adressed by Erlang, according to Joe Armstrong.
Jim wrote the paper as part of Tandem Computers, that was later aquired by Compaq that was aquired by HP...